Net Worth: $500 Million
- Source of Wealth Writing, Film Adaptations
- Age Deceased at 81 years old on 1973-09-02
- Birth Place Bloemfontein, Orange Free State, South Africa
- Marital Status Married (Edith Bratt)
- Full Name John Ronald Reuel Tolkien
- Nationality English
- Date of Birth January 3, 1892
- Ethnicity English
- Occupation Writer, Poet, Philologist, University Professor
- Education Exeter College, Oxford, University of Oxford
- Children 4 (John Francis, Michael Hilary, Christopher John, Priscilla Anne)
About J. R. R. Tolkien
J.R.R. Tolkien was a renowned writer with an estimated net worth of $500 million. Tolkien was known as a writer, poet, professor, and philologist. His major work, the epic Lord of the Rings is what garnered him his largest profits.
Tolkien was born on the 3rd of January, 1892 and died on the 2nd of September, 1973. During his lifetime, he established himself as a prolific writer, publishing dozens of books during his lifetime. His son, Christopher, currently owns the rights to the books his father published. Not only that, but he also published some posthumous works which he gathered and put together to complete the story and lineage of Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.
Forbes Magazine made up a list of the richest dead celebrities. J. R. R. Tolkien ranked 5th on the list, while The Times named him the 6th greatest British writers since 1945. Tolkien is considered the father of modern fantasy.
Earnings & Financial Data
The below financial data is gathered and compiled by TheRichest analysts team to give you a better understanding of J. R. R. Tolkien's net worth by breaking down the most relevant financial events such as yearly salaries, contracts, earn outs, endorsements, stock ownership and much more.
- Earnings 2009
- Earnings 2007
|Earnings 2009||$50 Million|
Estimated earnings from the novel, The Lord of the Rings (150 million copies sold worldwide)