A 21-year-old bodybuilder is dead after contracting the flu over the holidays.
Kyle Baughman was a bodybuilder and aspiring personal trainer from Latrobe Pennsylvania. He went home for Christmas exhibiting flu-like symptoms, and within days was dead.
According to his mother, Beverly Baughman, Kyle appeared to be suffering from a runny nose and looked "rundown" to other family members. Kyle went home to see family on Christmas Day but was back to work at Walmart the following morning.
“I think he thought, ‘I just got the flu; I’ll be all right,’ ” Beverly Baughman told WPXI News. “‘I’ll just go rest a bit. ‘ ”
He left work early as his condition continued to deteriorate.
“He kinda just laid down and went about his day and that was the day he was coughing and said his chest hurt,” his fiancée, Olivia Marcanio, told local news. “He had a mild cough.”
His cough worsened along with his fever to the point where Kyle’s fiancée took him to the emergency room on December 27th. From there doctor’s determined his condition was grave and Kyle was emergency evacuated to UPMC Presbyterian in Pittsburgh.
Less than 24 hours later, he was dead.
“Organ failure due to septic shock caused by influenza,” Beverly Baughman said. “It doesn’t seem real.”
Septic shock is a dangerous medical condition usually brought on by bacterial infection but can happen with viral or fungal infections as well. In sepsis, the immune response goes overboard and damages the body. In the case of septic shock, it causes abnormally low blood pressure, preventing blood from reaching vital organs. When that happens they shut down, leading to death.
It’s estimated that 650,000 people die globally from the flu every year. Even though this year’s vaccination isn’t as effective as previous year’s, the flu vaccine is the only defense we have from the virus.
Kyle’s parents believe he did not receive this year’s flu shot.
Todd Baughman, Kyle’s father, now wants to ensure everyone hears his son’s warning about the flu. “Try and know your body. Don’t let things go,” Kyler’s father told WPXI. “Whenever you have a fever for multiple days, don’t let it go, get it taken care of.”