Though she's known around the world as country music's preeminent songstress, Dolly Parton is also something of a folksy philosopher. Her lightning-quick wit and poetic simplicity--not to mention her far-too-few movie roles--have made for some heartfelt and hilarious homilies on life, love, and beauty. From songs like "Jolene" and "I Will Always Love You" to hit movies like 9 to 5 and Steel Magnolias, Dolly has espoused her clear-eyed, homespun wisdom. In interviews, she has reflected on the secret of her five decade-long marriage ("Stay gone!"), her flashy appearance ("It takes a lot of money to look this cheap!"), and her ample chest ("I've made a fortune with 'em!")--and in the process, she's won our hearts. Looking back over the 50-plus years that Dolly has entertained us, here is a collection of her most valuable life lessons.
1. Always stand up for yourself.
2. You can make your mark on the world at any age.
3. Your checking account does not determine the riches in your life.
4. Don't be afraid of being over-the-top. In Dolly's book, less is NEVER more. MORE is more.
5. Forgive, forgive, forgive. It's better for them. It's better for you. Period.
6. With every new day comes new beginnings, new possibilities, and…new wigs?
7. Be prepared. Life is going to throw curveballs, and you'll need all the sass you've got.
8. "…And you remember that! Or we're all out of a job!"
9. Embrace your curves, bumps, lumps, and any other perceived imperfections. You're perfect just the way you are.
10. Be inventive! Be resourceful! When life hands you lemons…
11. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly: never, under any circumstances, do your own hair. Just...don't.