Net Worth: $600 Million
- Source of Wealth Politician, Businessman
- Birth Place San Kamphaeng, Thailand
- Marital Status Married (Potjaman Na Pombejra)
- Full Name Thaksin Shinawatra
- Nationality Thailand, Montenegro
- Date of Birth July 26, 1949
- Occupation Businessman, Politician
- Education Eastern Kentucky University, Armed Forces Academies Preparatory School, Sam Houston State University
- Children 2 (Yingluck Shinawatra, Panthongtae Shinawatra)
About Thaksin Shinawatra
Thai businessman and politician, Thaksin Shinawatra, has a net worth of $600 million as of August 2011, according to Forbes’ Thailand rich list. The Thailand’s former prime minister was ousted in 2006 coup, lives in self-imposed exile to avoid 2-year jail term after conviction in absentia on corruption charges. Thai authorities froze $2 billion in assets, largely from family’s sale of Shin Corp., the telecom company he founded. He bought Britain’s Manchester City football club in 2007.
His younger sister, Yingluck Shinawatra is Thailand’s first female and current prime minister. Informally advises younger sister Yingluck, who became prime minister after landslide victory in July polling. After Yingluck took office, finance ministry acknowledged it would not appeal a tax ruling that would release $40 million in frozen assets held by Thaksin’s son and daughter. He currently lives in Dubai.