Net Worth: $3.7 Billion
- Source of Wealth Agriculture
- Age Deceased at 99 years old on 2008-05-25
- Birth Place Dubuque, Iowa
- Marital Status Married to Esther Becker and Divorced to Ruby Rosevear
- Full Name John Richard Simplot
- Nationality United States
- Date of Birth January 4, 1909
- Occupation Founder of the J.R. Simplot Commpany
- Education Eighth Grade Dropout
- Children Richard, Donald, Gay and Scott
About JR Simplot
JR Simplot was the founder of the J.R. Simplot Company and he has an estimated net worth of $3.7 billion. The company is an agricultural supplier specializing in potato products founded in 1929 and is based in Boise, Idaho.
John Richard Simplot (January 4, 1909 – May 25, 2008) was a native of Dubuque, Iowa. He was an eighth grade dropout who left home to strike out on his own in 1923 at the age of 14. His first work was on a farm near Declo before he ventured into the potato and vegetable processing business.
Also known as Jack or JR, he founded the J.R. Simplot Company in 1929. He started with potato farming then later built the largest potato dehydrating plant in the world. He was behind the development of the first frozen French fries which turned him into a tycoon with more than $3 billion from a teenager who only had $80 in his pocket.
During World War II, Jack was the supplier of dehydrated vegetables to the American soldiers. He then went on to assist in the rise of the McDonald’s empire as the company’s main supplier of French fries. Through the years, further expansion was done to grow his business. His business interests included cattle farming, fertilizer, oil, cattle feed, seed and ski resorts as well as potato farming. Upon his death at the age of 99, JR was named the oldest billionaire in the United States.