Net Worth: $6.5 Billion
- Source of Wealth Metromedia, Self Made
- Age Deceased at 95 years old on 2010-09-08
- Birth Place Chemitz, Germany
- Marital Status Married (Maria Tussi Kluge)
- Full Name John Werner Kluge
- Nationality American
- Date of Birth September 21, 1914
- Occupation Chairman
- Education Columbia University
- Children 3 (John Jr., Jospeh, Samantha)
About John Kluge
German-born American entrepreneur who was onetime world’s richest man reeling from faltering restaurant investments. Private equity firm Atalaya Capital Management bought his Steak & Ale and Bennigan’s brands in 2008 for $13 million in cash and assumed debt after chains filed for bankruptcy. His Ponderosa and Bonanza steak house chains also filed for Chapter 11 in 2008.
According to Forbes, he has a net worth of $6.5 billion as of March 2015, John Kluge was a German immigrant who invested $4 million in Metropolitan Broadcasting Corp. in 1959. Renamed Metromedia; built empire with independent television stations. Dipped into restaurants in 1988; sold Metromedia to WorldCom for $1.3 billion in 2001.Pledged $400 million to alma mater Columbia University in 2007.
The oldest member of the Forbes 400, has died at 96, on September 7, 2010.